Summer is practically here, but even still it sounds nice to eat some warm comfort food to soothe the soul. Shepherd’s pie combines meat and potatoes with a mixture of vegetables into one casserole that is great, even as a one-dish meal. But what if you could make this from your food storage—that has a 25-year shelf life? Here’s an easy recipe from our good friends at Thrive Life for the classic shepherd’s pie your mom made growing up. You’re going to love it.
Total Time: 23 min
Prep Time: 4 min
Cook Time: 19 min
- 1 tbsp. Garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. Butter, salted
- 3 c. Water
- 1 c. THRIVE Ground Beef (Hamburger) – Freeze Dried
- 1/3 c. THRIVE Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 c. THRIVE Chopped Onions – Freeze Dried
- 1/2 c. THRIVE Tomato Dices – Freeze Dried
- 1 c. THRIVE Green Beans – Freeze Dried
- 3/4 c. THRIVE Sweet Corn – Freeze Dried
- 1 tbsp. THRIVE Italian Seasoning Blend
- 2 tsp. Beef bouillon
- 2 1/2 c. THRIVE Mashed Potatoes
- 3 c. Water
- 1 tsp. THRIVE Italian Seasoning Blend
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 3 tbsp. Butter, salted
- 1 c. Colby Jack Cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a medium sauce pan, sauté garlic in butter until lightly caramelized. De-glaze with water and add in remaining filling ingredients.
- Bring sauce to a simmer until thick about 4-5 minutes. Set aside
- To make mashed potatoes add water, seasonings and butter to a small sauce pot and bring to a simmer add in potatoes and whisk until smooth.
- To assemble pour the filling into an 8×8 pan and cover with the mashed potatoes. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake in a 350 oven for about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Yield: 1- 8×8 pan